Last Saturday I attended my first Commonwealth Games event at Ibrox Stadium sitting through almost 10 hours of Rugby Sevens. I had never watched that much rugby in my life and to be honest, I thought I would have been bored out of my skull as I didn’t know how it all works. However, after a couple of matches, I was hooked. I started screaming at the players, shouting the way they should have passed the ball, booed the opposition and cheered when tries were successful. I caught the bug.
- The stadium cheering for the underdogs, in particular Uganda.The crowd loved them and you could tell how much it meant to Uganda as well when they ran over to the crowd thanking them for their support.
- Watching Scotland through their ups and downs, silly mistakes and then triumph.
- New Zealand. What can I say?Â It was amazing to watch them (and later meet a few of them!). If only they did the haka…
- Cecil Afrika. Damn. He can run. He was THE best player throughout the whole weekend.
- Samoan fans approaching Ross & shaking his hand as he was wearing a Samoan rugby shirt. Later on, Ross got his photo taken with some players too!
We didn’t go to the Sunday event but I managed to watch quite a few of the matches including the final between South Africa and New Zealand. Once again, Cecil Afrika for South Africa and D J Forbes for New Zealand stood out the most for me. In the end, South Africa won crushing New Zealand’s record for being unbeaten in the Commonwealth Games. Well deserved!