When I feel like steak for dinner, I usually get a rib eye for its soft marble, succulence and flavour. It’s been my staple go-to cut for a number of years. However, when Donald Russell contacted me to ask if I’d give their Pave Rump Steaks a try, I welcomed the change.
Royal Warrant holders, Donald Russell, opened its doors to trade customers in 1974. They supply gourmet meats to high-end restaurants and hotels in the UK and worldwide, and over the years has become one of the UK’s best-known places to buy meat online. A huge selection includes beef, lamb, pork and mutton as well as veal, poultry, venison and game. They also have a rather impressive seafood selection. A place after my own heart.
I’m personally not a fan of a lot of fat in red meat due to an accident with Roast Beef when I was a child. Some fat wrapped around my uvula (or dangly bit!) and I was fighting to breathe while choking. Luckily my parents performed the hymek manoeuvre on me and all was well again. It still haunts me.
What on earth is Pave?
Pave is the heart of the rump which produces a one muscle steak. This results in a very lean individual steak with no external fat, full of deep flavour, tender and juicy. Sounds like a perfect steak to me. Donald Russell mature their Pave Rump Steaks for a minimum of 35 days and are trimmed by hand from the centre of the rum muscle by their expert butchers.
I griddled the steaks with a little pepper until they were medium rare, just the way I like it. To accompany them, I made Gorgonzola Sauce that I first fell in love with in Paris. It is perfect with red meat, even for those of us who aren’t huge fans of blue cheese. I also served the steaks with some Rosemary Roast Potatoes and Trimmed Green Beans. Comfort food at its best.
Just as Donald Russell said, the Pave Rump Steaks were very tender and flavoursome. I was rather surprised as sometimes with lean meat, the lack of fat can result in the meat suffering and becoming dry. However, this was not the case, they were perfect.
& just look at those lines *swoon*
It is a cut of meat that I will definitely purchase again and they can deliver to your house! I can already think of a few recipes that the steaks would be perfect for and since it’s rather sunny right now, would be perfect on a BBQ!
Want to create the recipe for yourself?
- 4 pave rump steaks (or steaks of your preference)
- Salt & pepper to season
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 15g unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 250ml sour cream
- 125g Gorgonzola cheese, crumbled
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the chopped shallot and cook until golden brown.
- Add soured cream and Gorgonzola cheese, stirring until the sauce simmers and the cheese melts.
- Remove from the heat and cover to keep warm while the steaks are cooking.
- Pre-heat griddle pan and pat dry steaks with some kitchen roll to remove any excess liquid. Lightly brush the steaks with some oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill the steaks until they are cooked for your liking. I'm a 3.5 minutes on each side for medium rare type of person.
- Remove from the grill and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with the Gorgonzola sauce and sides. I chose Rosemary Roast Potatoes which were pre-boiled and then tossed in oil and rosemary before being placed into the oven at 200°c for 30 minutes and trimmed green beans.