It’s Summer and that can only mean one thing, BBQ’s. I love the chargrill black marks and smokey flavour that you get with meat on the grill. You can’t recreate that on the hob. Thankfully in Glasgow this year, the weather hasn’t been as bad as it normally is. I’ve managed at least seven this year which is a record around these parts.
We have this age old rule with the neighbours that whenever we want a BBQ, they are invited and vice versa. It works out quite well and means I get to feed my BBQ habit more. My favourite things on the BBQ? Chicken Breast, Steak, Lamb Chops, Link Sausages and Burgers. Basically all the greatest food groups.
We used to have a normal coal BBQ but our neighbour was getting a new gas BBQ so we inherited his old one which is the perfect size for my family. The difference between coal and gas BBQs is rather stark. Gone at the days that you have to prep the grill at least 30 minutes before even thinking about adding food and they are easier to clean, however, they may be seen as more expensive to buy upfront.
Meat aside, I love nothing better than side dishes such as salads, couscous and baked potatoes. Below is one of my favourite side dish recipes for Chilli & Lemon Couscous. Perfect for sunny days!
Even Doggy Dog gets to enjoy BBQ Season!
- 1 cup of dry couscous
- 1 small can of sweetcorn
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 2 chillies, chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 50g feta cheese, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- olive oil
- Put the dry couscous into a bowl and add boiling hot water approximately an inch above the couscous. Leave to soak for around 10-15 minutes until tender and fluffy. Use a fork to separate the couscous.
- Add sweetcorn, cucumber, chillies, tomatoes and feta cheese to the couscous and mix well.
- Drizzle some olive oil over the salad along with some lemon juice, salt and pepper to your own taste. Add more seasoning and lemon juice if required.
- Eat and enjoy!