I like recipes that are quick, easy and taste wonderful, especially if I’m working throughout the week. The last thing I want to do is spend hours in the kitchen so this is the perfect dish to create when you’re short on time.
I like to think of it as an upmarket version of a Chicken Kiev. You could really stuff the chicken with anything you like. I just so happen like cheese, pesto and more cheese. I added rocket & parmesan salad to the dish before serving and relaxing for the rest of the night.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/2 packet of cream cheese (I used Garlic & Herb Philadelphia)
- 4 slices of cheddar cheese (or more if you wish!)
- 4 tablespoons of Pesto
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs (I used Ruskoline but Panko would be my preferred choice)
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of garlic salt
- Pinch of Paprika
- Preheat oven to 180º degrees. Lightly coat a large, shallow baking dish with oil.
- Butterfly each breast by slicing in half horizontally through the center, cutting almost but not completely through. Place cheddar, cream cheese and pesto in the center of each breast.
- Fold the chicken together and set aside.
- Pour milk into a shallow bowl. In a separate bowl, combine breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Carefully dip each breast into the milk, then in breadcrumb mixture, patting lightly to firmly coat. Secure with a cocktail stick so it doesn't fall apart.
- Place breasts side by side in a single layer in pre-oiled baking dish, tucking edges under to seal.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in lemon juice and garlic, and drizzle evenly over chicken. Season breasts with garlic salt and paprika.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until juices run clear.