I love Burgers. I could quite happily munch away on them every day (minus the fact my arteries would explode if I actually did!). They are my weakness along with a good Pizza. I woke up one morning craving a good Home-Made Burger so I decided to go out at buy the ingredients to make my own Ultimate Burger. I also blame James for this. His Burger Blog teases me daily and I swear I can hear it whispering my name!
So how do you go about creating your very own Ultimate Burger? Well it’s simple if you think about it. You choose what type of meat patty you want, the toppings you’d like, the sauce and the perfect bun to hold it all together. I knew my Ultimate Burger would be beef, include bacon, a spicy tangy sauce, lettuce, onions and some sort of good quality bun. After hunting down all my ingredients and re-kindling my love for Whole Foods Market in Giffnock, I created my Ultimate Burger.
Looks pretty good huh?
Beef Burger Patty Ingredients (makes 4 burgers):
500g Good Quality Minced (Ground) Beef
1 Onion, chopped finely
1 Tablespoon Sun-Dried Tomato, chopped finely
1 Tablespoon Chilli Sauce (I use Maggi’s Chilli Sauce)
5 Garlic Cloves, chopped finely
1/2 Teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Tabasco Sauce
1/2 Teaspoon Whole Grain Mustard
1 Egg Yolk
(Not-So) Secret Sauce Ingredients
1/2 cup Mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon Ketchup
1 Tablespoon American Mustard
1 Dill Pickle
1/4 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/4 Teaspoon Paprika
A Sprinkle of Chilli Papper
For Each Burger:
1 large Dill Pickle Gherkin, sliced
Handful of Rocket Leaves
Slices of Red Onion
Fried Mushrooms in Garlic Butter
2 Tablespoon of Special Burger Sauce
1 slice of Prosciutto Ham, fried and crispy
2 slices of Mozzarella & Cheddar Cheese
Good Quality Burger Bun (I opted for Whole Foods Market’s Garlic Buns)
1. Combine all the Burger Patty ingredients together in a bowl. Cover and let it chill in the fridge for an hour. Once chilled, shape the mixture into 4 patties. Heat a frying pan (or a griddle pan if you have one), brush both sides of the burgers with oil and cook for 3-4 minutes each side.
2. Preheat the grill, top each burger with cheese and grill for 2 minutes until melted. Toast the Burger Buns until lightly golden.
3. Combine all ingredients for the Secret Sauce in a mini blender until smooth. Spread some of the mix over the base of each bun.
4. Add the fried prosciutto ham, the burger, red onion and dill pickle slices, some mushrooms, rocket leaves and then the other half of the burger bun. I’d recommend getting a rather large cocktail/kebab stick to hold it all together as it’s pretty big! Server with Fries and smalls bowl of Ketchup and Secret Sauce for dipping.
5. Stuff the Burger in your face & enjoy!
Note: Beware of Sauce Dribbles! I fall victim every single time!