Food and Drink Recipes

Chicken with a Tomato & Basil Sauce

Damn, it feels like my blog has suddenly turned into a cooking blog since I moved in with my grandfather. The funny thing is, I hate cooking when I’m on my own, I normally eat junk food but I love cooking for other people and my grandfather is my test dummy hehe

Last night I used some left over rice to finish off this dish, I ended up cooking way too much rice with the Chinese food the other day, so rather than throwing it out, I re-used it and the good thing was it still tasted fresh when I re-heated it in the microwave. This recipe is really simple to make and takes in total, 20 minutes to do :D

Ingredients:
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped finely
1 can canned chopped tomatoes
5 mushrooms, chopped
4 garlic cloves, cut into fourths
Lemon Juice, Salt and Pepper to season
Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
3 chicken breasts
Rice or Spagetti

Method:
1. Take your chicken breasts and flatten them a little. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and some lemon juice and wrap in foil (loosely not tight) and cook in the oven at 200ºc for approx 20 minutes.

2. While the chicken is cooking, you can prepare and cook the sauce by heating some oil in a large pan in medium heat. Add chopped onions and mushrooms then cook gently for 5 minutes until they are soft and slightly golden. Next, add the tomatoes and garlic and bring it to boil. Simmer (turn down heat) for let it bubble away for 15-20 minutes. Season with a little salt, pepper and sprinkle basil throughout and stir.

3. Once the chicken is cooked, put straight on a plate with some rice (or spagetti) and spoon over some of the yummy tomato sauce and eat :D I used a little plastic cup to make the rice look all funky of the plate!

jewaira
    June 9, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Mmmm that sauce made my mouth water..reallly :P

June 9, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Your a regular cooker aren’t you…. looool

June 9, 2008 at 10:10 pm

ble3afia

Zabo0o6a
    June 10, 2008 at 12:24 am

yummy i like tomato sauce
    *drools*

nono
    June 10, 2008 at 1:44 am

masha allah! you’re such a great chef michelle.. ;) i believe you’ll be a good mother someday in the future.

Best recipes from around the web » Recipe: Chicken with a Tomato & Basil Sauce
    June 10, 2008 at 1:11 pm

[…] ananyah wrote a fantastic post today on “Recipe: Chicken with a Tomato & Basil Sauce”Here’s ONLY a quick extractDamn, it feels like my blog has suddenly turned into a cooking blog since I moved in with my grandfather. The funny thing is, I hate cooking when I’m on my own, I normally eat junk food but I love cooking for other people and my … […]

Natasha
    June 10, 2008 at 5:36 pm

Oohh, yummy yum yum!
    I’ll be your testtterrr =D

Andd the the blog below.. Oh my gosh, saving saving saving feels like all I do lately, because I need to save for my new apt, that I’m now moved into.. (SOEXCITED!) andd I’m buying my frist plane ticket =o Crazyyy.

I hope you didn’t forget about me, and the hostee pageee =P

Can’t wait to see more of these recipes!

June 11, 2008 at 12:52 pm

@jewaira – yah it’s really tasty especially with fresh herbs.

@Marzouq – loool boredom does that to you!

@Ansam – allah y3feech

@Zabo0o6a – me too :D

@nono – I hope so :D

@Natasha – hahahhaa u wish :P Good luck with the saving, I need it hahaha where you flying too? & no I didn’t forget, just pre-occupied with other things right now. Will get to it soon & let you know.

komodo dragon
    June 11, 2008 at 8:54 pm

mmm that chicken looks really good :P i would like some !

June 11, 2008 at 10:03 pm

@komodo dragon – hahah more recipes to come, got yesterdays and tonights to post about, both italian :D